Saturday, May 05, 2007

Summer Storage


True Story: While putting all the winter wear away in a plastic bag for summer storage, I had a brilliant idea: I would mate all of the gloves by clipping or rolling them together. Well, the ones pictured are the ones that did not have mates. Remember: this is a family of 4.

So what does one do? Store a bunch of single gloves? Spend a Saturday searching the house for glove mates? Seems ridiculous, but I am that person. I am the family member whose main mission in life is to NEVER waste ANYTHING. There have even, believe it or not, been other people in the household who've been so bold as to suggest that I can be perhaps a bit extreme in my methods, ideas, practices and behaviors pertaining to resourceful waste prevention. Really, they've actually said that.

So I seriously found myself thinking things like: "Well, I could use that black leather glove by itself, if I ever join the rodeo; better not throw that one away. And see in the lower left corner? It's the Dora glove. I could cut out that Dora patch and sew it on the hole of Josie's holy jeans.
At this point, I become my own therapist: @m, if you were the kind of person/family that would take the time to sew a patch on holy jeans, then wouldn't you also be the kind of person/family who avoids losing 14 gloves over the course of one winter? . . .


OUCH! That hurts. SHUT up inner Therapist! I could also cut up the fuzzy gloves into a set of 4 matching coffee coasters; 2 black and 2 maroon. Plus, I could cut the furry leopard cuff of of the black glove and put it around Reese's neck as a stylish dog collar. Everyone's doing that nowadays.

Anyway, I went around and through the house and cars looking for the mates of the single gloves.

The good news: I found one.

The bad news: I found 4 other singles! No shit. We are now up to 14 lone pieces of winter hand-wear. Thank God, we don't live in the 20's when women would wear those long sleeve gloves as part of their formal wear; and that none of us wear "driving gloves" and that baseball gloves and oven mits only come in singles anyway and that we don't really "garden" per say, so no more single gloves because of that.
Maybe this is how rhinestone-handed Michael Jackson got his big signature idea.

After many seconds of prayer and petition, I've resolved to start a charity organization specifically designated to receive donations of single gloves and mittens that will be distributed to those individuals who only have one hand. I don't imagine that we will get a whole lot of customers, but oh boy, will they have a lot of styles to choose from.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

November 11, 2008 6:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't have said it better. (~:

Love,
Dad

June 24, 2012 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home