Saturday, October 28, 2006

Porter on Theology and Pumpkins

My family and I were recently bestowing some graven images upon a few pumpkins, a celebratory ritual for an upcoming holiday rooted in spirituality. As my 5-year-old son, Porter was preparing to reveal his manically-faced orange head unto me, he said, “Daddy, you’re gonna be scared!”

“I don’t know about that," I responded, "pumpkins aren’t very scary."

He became very enthused, “Uh, Dad. That’s what pumpkins ARE FOR . . . to be SCARY!”

I briefly thought about what a great opportunity for teaching this had suddenly become and replied, “Really? Don’t you think that perhaps God made pumpkins as a food source for his people and other creatures giving them seeds to they could continue growing other pumpkins?”

“Well, of course he did, Dad!” Porter propounded with the confident air of a postgraduate student in his 25th year, “But he also made them to SCARE people!”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great bro becuase I think most partents would say "OH yeah, buddy, that is scary!" while pretending to be scared.

It seems like being honest, real, and sincere with your kids is the best way to go in almost all situations, but my perception is that most parents do not see it that way.

Keep writing.

November 10, 2006 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home