Sunday, June 21, 2009

Adam's Tips for Tough Economies

You know, it's funny; most of us are feeling the pain of the times. Even those of us fortunate enough to have jobs still have to deal with lack of raises and even pay cuts, not to mention, increasing prices on gas, groceries and other needs. Because of this, we have to begin thinking with a new mindset if we are going to survive with even a moderate amount of comfort and convenience.

So let me share one example. This is a plan I devised earlier this week when my 4-year-old daughter Josie had to get glasses.

Now, while it certainly is not her "fault" that she needs glasses, it’s an unplanned expense nonetheless; and furthermore, just because it isn’t anything she did "wrong" that caused her to need them, it even more so is not the fault of the other members of this family, all of whom, incidentally, have 20/20 vision.

Now, I have a couple options regarding how to deal with this expense. I could take it out of the family fun budget completely making Josie’s need for glasses a difficult and negative experience for the entire family that would stain the memories of Summer 2009 all together causing everyone else to resent her, but that wouldn’t really be fair to anyone.

So I’ve spent some time developing the "Kenyon Family Josie Optical Fund Dispersement Plan."

The way it works is simple. Josie, while quite intelligent for her age, is 4 years old. She is too young and frankly, much too lazy to earn any kind of steady income to contribute to the family budget.

However, all is not lost! For example, today was a nice day. We went out for ice cream. I ordered, Mom ordered, Brother ordered and Josie was absolutely permitted, even encouraged to come along, but when she wanted to order a frozen treat as well, that was where the tough love came in: I had to tell her about fairness and all that.

So taking the average cost of our 3 ice cream cones I patiently explained to her how that amount would be deducted from the $311.57, the total cost of her optical prescription, lenses, frames, eye-doctor visits, approximate cost of gas to and fro etc.

Now the thing about good parenting is you can’t just sit back in pride when it comes to a loving stroke of genius like this. It’s not enough.

That’s why I gave Josie two licks of my ice cream. It’s basic compassion. That’s the kind of father I am. I can’t help it. She was crying almost the whole time because, I’m convinced, she, sensitive soul that she is, was simply moved by my profound gesture of inclusion and generosity.

I further explained how until the amount was completely recouped, if we had say, burgers on the grill, she could have a bun, a piece of cheese, and water FREE OF CHARGE! but the price of the meat, condiments, munchies and a beverage would be deducted from her recoupable bottom line; as it will be if the rest of the family goes to a movie or miniature golfing. In which case, she will be comfortably hanging out in the lobby or clubhouse.

By the end of summer/early fall she would be almost fully paid up and back to participating in the family outings as long, as she incurs no damage to the glasses, of course. Insurance doesn’t cover that.

As I gave her the lowdown once again, she began to well up with tears. I know, she was touched by the fact that despite her visual short comings, I was accepting of her and willing to offer her free bread and cheese. A lot of kids wouldn’t have that much gratitude, so I must be doing something right. It’s times like these that you know exactly why you became a parent and what it means to be one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home